I've been looking out for a large wooden wardrobe in our local charity shop for almost a year as our storage just wasn't working either aesthetically or practically. It's funny how much these things can bother you when you're in that space so often. For whatever reason - sometimes timing, sometimes money or sometimes just not quite right, I'd not been successful in my search. Until last month that is.
There it was, a maple and 'larger than double' wardrobe for well under £100. Perfect. The wood itself was scratched and blemished so I felt no guilt in covering the 1940's wood with a gorgeous pastel blue (Crown's Moonlight Bay) and finished it with the usual clear wax. I'm sorry - I cannot get this photo to rotate but I've included it to give you an idea of it!! Get ready with the slanty head peak!!
I auctioned online our previous sets of melamine double wardrobes and sidetables and actually raised more money than the replacement 'perfect' one cost!! I had primed a large sideboard (which I bought at the same time as the table I made over here.) and it hadn't really found it's permanent home. So, I painted the sideboard in the same paint and it too found it's permanent home in the bedroom.
Not only do I love the painted look of furniture, but I also wanted to paint them to disguise the size of the furniture. We painted the wall the same colour and it helps to 'blend' the big furniture into their surroundings rather than feel the large pieces overpower the room. It's a bit like an illusion and it does work really well in this relatively small room.
I like the solid colour of the paint too, so don't tend to heavily distress or 'shabby' my furniture makeovers. I just like the painted look and it keeps it clean and fresh to create the laquered finish with wax. I think I will end up painting the drawers pale blue too rather than the original layer of white I'd given them - I thought I'd leave it a while and see how I felt.... not sure really.
Regrettably, I didn't take a before picture - I just got carried away and stuck in!! The feature wall behind the bed had been olive green and all the other three a taupe colour. After painting I kept admiring our handy work but it needed more... So I took the sewing machine to the bedroom curtains. I inserted a pretty panel of Cath K from my stash into the existing curtains. There are tiny blue flowers in within this pattern which are picked out against the adjacent blue wall - lovely.
We painted the opposite wall (behind the headboard) the same blue and the other two stone white so as not to make the room feel like a blue, cold box.
A week after I'd painted the room, the off white wall was looking empty. We'd shifted around and replaced items of furniture and it had created a better sence of space on the floor plan but the wall needed something. So last week I hung a group of frames to make a feature. I painted some that had been in the loft and others that had been sat in an IKEA bag for months on the floor. It's not everyone's thang but I'm not minimal in my style and I think they make a nice display. Now I need to fill them - I think they'll be black and white photos though to help with the restful feel of the room.
I couldn't be happier with the result of my bedroom makeover. It feels calming, fresh and pretty - without being overpoweringly so. Milo is currently enjoying my bedroom makeover too!
I'm looking forward to making a few cushions and maybe a patchwork throw to go on the bed over the coming months to further 'cosy it up'. But it's a happier room to be in now, which can only be a good thing and it cost very little in monetary terms. A bit of hard work and furniture relocation and it's furnished!!
So today, I'm sitting and writing this post from my newly decorated bedroom and it feels very lovely indeed! It's nice to know I've sorted out the storage issues we had and it's a much more pleasant room to be in.
Good thing too - I'm not sure Ben could survive getting a big wardrobe like that up the stairs again!! ;0)J9 x