I've shared the process of this creative journey here and here and finally the blanket is complete. I am so very pleased with it - and my mum was delighted when it was presented to her during the half term holidays.
So... shall I show you?!
The weight of it is so comforting - with the teddy throw sewn to the crochet blanket. It provides substantial warmth and is pretty and functional!!
I added buttons to the centres of some of the painted roses - partly because they look pretty and partly because it helped to attach the fleece backing to the crochet front.
This combined with the edging teeny weeny flowers around the whole painted roses squares means the fleece blanket is attached thoroughly. I sewed the fleece to the red single crochet stitches using red embroidery thread. This meant that the fluted edging is not backed but it frames the blanket well giving a little more drape.
I added a very homemade label to the back - embroidered with 'Made with Love' and Nov - Feb 2015. I haven't hand sewn in a while and it certainly showed but it held a simple charm - especially with it being a vintage, embroidered coaster originally.
I love it. And have loved making it. I've enjoyed every step actually. I'm hooked again and really want to start my next crochet project imminently!!!
As you can see with the number of photos!! Before I gave it away I had a real play with photographing it. The trouble being that there has been very little sunshine here so they were all taken indoors...
Sandra also shared her painted roses cushion made in more muted tones which I really love and is a less time consuming project. I definitely think I'll make one soon - although I have two other crochet projects already on the hook! I can't recommend this pattern enough and I hope you have enjoyed seeing my finished blanket. Take care lovely people,