I think I hinted in my original post that any decorating needed to be done on a small budget. Well if I said minimal budget then that would have been more accurate. I'm naturally quite thrifty and a little inventive I guess in using things for different purposes. Recently this has become more trendy - but that's not why I do it. I like that reusing things means less damage to the environment (and with me not working and having not yet won the lottery) a more frugal approach is beneficial!
We are fortunate that some filler and paint were left following our extension last year (to add a downstairs toilet and shower) which has meant paint purchasing has not been necessary. The original stairs walls were in a bit of a state with cracking and uneven surfaces but I really tried to smooth these out a bit with the leftover filler. A couple of similar colours mixed together (different hues of duck egg blue) meant that there was sufficient paint to complete the task. Frugal indeed.
The original blackout blind had to go - it had been up since we moved in 8 years ago and was actually in our spare room in our last house. It needed to be replaced despite serving us so faithfully as it had succumbed to the damp window. I have a new blind which I purchased a couple of years ago in a charity shop (with the view that it would be useful at some point) and although it's not a great colour match, it tones in well enough. I plan to add a few trims and maybe some buttons to it anyway to add a bit of interest. I'll share that once I'm done.
I've been slowly working my way around the wood work with undercoat. The last time I decorated I clearly thought it was a good idea to paint the railings an eau de nil colour and therefore I have to cover this with undercoat! For the top coat I'm reverting to brilliant white this time with a satin finish. I'm taking my time and having days off in between but I aim to finish the doors and railings by mid February - there are five doors and door frames on the landing.
I took down all my photo frames ready to paint the wall. I like them up there even though it makes the space feel lighter with them down. Photographs are such a major part of our home so they will go back up. I may well update some of the pictures in the frames and I'm thinking I will paint the frames white to unify them a bit more. They should stand out nicely against the pale duck egg blue once that is done. You can't see the colour of the walls in this picture on the right - I'll try taking one earlier in the day to give a truer idea of the actual colour when I post the completion post!
That's my progress this past month. I have really taken my time on this and tried to pace myself properly. I've still had most of the usual stuff to do (although I've let lots slide) and my pain has spiked uncontrollably at times meaning that I've had to down tools for days at a time. Progress has been slow but I feel positive about continuing this week. Slow and steady... ticks on a list.
The Hubby is going to finish painting the walls as this has just proven beyond me physically at present - even with pacing and rest days. Anyhow, the most important point is that it gets done and completed. I will tick it off my list - just give me til the end of February to do it!
I have made much better progress on my Make Me challenge for January. I'll be back with a Ta Dah soon!!